Sunday, June 7, 2009

Changes

My plans have changed.... yet again.  Shocking, I know.  But over the past couple of months I have been comparing and contrasting, creating pro and con charts, analyzing the best possible ways, and debating in my head what I am going to do with school and my living situation!  All while I am suffering in complete and utter horrible agony about whether or not UF was going to accept me or not!  My first plan after applying to the University of Florida was to also apply to Santa Fe Community College as a sort of back up plan in case I didn't get in (which I figured I more than likely wouldn't) and I would study Graphic Design there and just re-apply to UF after I got my degree from Santa Fe.  Then I started re-thinking and analyzing that plan.  I thought maybe going to Santa Fe with OUT OF STATE TUITION to get a degree that I could get at Valdosta State University for FREE in probably a better program, wasn't exactly the smartest financially or academically.  

So plans changed.  I made the decision to stay at Valdosta State and get my Graphic Design degree, continue working at the courthouse, and continue living with Earl then re-apply to UF for architecture later on.  It was definite!  I made up my mind (as hard as a decision it was to make) and told my parents.  They were relieved of course.  They hate to see their baby go sooo far away.  Parents!  I told my friends and co-workers.  Everyone was happy.... except me.  Although I had made the decision, it was a hard one to make because I had wanted so badly to begin studying architecture.  And when I get something in my head, it is very hard to change it and I usually want it done right then.  As I told my parents, I had to make a 'big girl' decision.

Well all of that decision making happened within a three day span at the beginning of one week.  That very Friday, as I was talking with a co-worker about the pros and cons of possibly taking on a full time job at the courthouse (I love me some pro/con lists.  Can you tell?) when I pulled up the Application Status check on the University of Florida's website.  I had been checking the status of my application  almost religiously for the past four months and I had stopped for several weeks because I was tired of the overwhelming and disheartening disappointment of my unchanging 'application status.'  But as I pulled it up that morning, expecting to see the same status of 'still processing' the first word that I saw was 'Congratulations!'  My heart pounded, my hands began to shake.  I'm sure my eyes widened in complete and sheer bewilderment.  I stopped talking in mid sentence.  I had been accepted!!  I was so shocked and so completely ecstatic! 

I immediately called my parents and sister to tell them the good news.  Needless to say, my parents were a little confused because they thought I had just made the decision to stay at VSU... well, duh!  That was because I thought for sure I wasn't going to be accepted into UF!  But now I AM!!  That changed everything!  So, now I am working on Financial Aid, getting an apartment to rent with Missy and a friend (the cottage ended up being WAY too expensive for a middle class college student's budget), and a job!  I'm praying everyday that God helps me follow whatever path He has for me.  He has already opened the door for me to study architecture at UF so I know that He will provide.

It's all finally sinking in!  I thought for the longest time after I checked my computer that day that I was eventually going to get a letter in the mail from the admission office that said, "Yeeeeah.  About that being accepted and everything?  We were just kidding!  We take it back."  Well, luckily, I haven't received that letter.... yet.  I'll keep everyone posted if I do.  

So I am officially a Gator now, much to my family's dismay.  But I just ask that everyone keep me in their prayers because I know this process and this degree is going to take a lot and it is going to be very, VERY stressful.  But I know that it is something that I want to do and that I will be good at.  

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."  -Anatole France 

No comments:

Post a Comment

'