Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Homeless People Ride Buses...Why Can't I?

Yesterday was my first day of class at UF... and wow was it a day. It all started with me completely freaking out about the bus system and not being able to figure it out (yes, I am a college student and yes, I did get into UF). So that really made me feel mentally deficient especially because if the toothless bum that talks to himself and runs around downtown punching the air can do it, why can't I?
After I figure out how to actually get to my class, I finally walk in to my Design 1 class to find out that three girls my age are teaching it... yay. THEN on my way home from class my parent's car completely breaks down on me in the middle of the busy intersection of 13th Street and 39th Avenue. So I get out and try to push and steer it out of traffic in my flip flops and I got pretty far (like 5 feet) when luckily three men come to my rescue and gallantly push me into the AutoZone (ironic, huh?) a couple of yards away. No problem, right? I can just whip out my handy-dandy, twenty-first century, high tech calling device and call help. If only, much like my car, it wasn't completely dead. Luckily, again, I had my charger with me, just no where to plug it up. (And just a side note: No one should make fun of my ginormous purse anymore because in times of dire emergencies, it comes in quite handy!)
So I shuffle into AutoZone on the verge of tears to see if they would be kind enough to let me charge my phone so I could call my sister or Misha to come get me. So one of the really nice men from behind the counter ask me how I was doing and I replied, in the biggest voice I could muster while trying to sound like I wasn't about to bust into tears and sobs, "I've been better...." He of course asked me if he could help me with anything so I held up my dead cell phone in one hand and my charger in the other and told him my car, along with my cell phone, was dead, and if I could just plug it in for a quick second so I could call someone to come pick me up.
Of course, he let me and he plugged it in behind the counter for me. So I try to call Missy on my cell phone, which by the way, the cord only streaches two inches from the counter, so picture me leaning over the ENTIRE counter with my face planted to my cell phone and my butt in the air for everyone behind me to see and tears streaming down my face, splattering onto the newspapers below. It now is EXTREMELY funny to think about.
So Missy came to comfort me and I was able to call road side assistance which towed me for free to an auto repaire shop that the guys from AutoZone highly recommended. It turned out all to be quite funny (especially after Missy got there). But I'm not so sure how funny it'll be when I get the autoshop bill. Ek!

No comments:

Post a Comment

'