Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Journey on Becoming a Vegetarian!

It's about that time. I've floated back into the blogging world! I seem to drift in every now and then when things are weighing heavily on my mind or if I just feel the need to be creative. At this particular moment, it's a little of both.

It has been about seven months since I made the decision to become a vegetarian. At first, it was just to loose a little of the "pudge" I felt I had gained from Missy's wedding from the stress of everything. I wanted to be healthy. I didn't think it would be a permanent thing. But now, for several different reasons, I it has definitely become a permanent change in my life. I feel better and feel back in sync with my body(which I think is VERY important!). I have actually influenced others around me to be conscious of their eating habits. And most importantly, I've been enlightened about our food industry in general.

While recovering from a knee replacement surgery my dad stumbled upon Food, Inc. on his Netflix account and watched this documentary. It is about what goes on in our food industry and the main corporations that control it. He was very moved. Enough so, he told me and my mother watch it. In all honesty, it was a life changing moment for me. I am now watching out from these processed foods that creep into my pantries and fridges. The Organic isle at Publix has become my best friend, as well as some products from Wal-mart! It's amazing how much is available if you just look for it.


It's amazing how much my eyes have been opened to food! I now encourage everyone that I meet to watch Food, Inc. or at least visit their website at takepart.com/foodinc.

I now try to eat as many of the vegetables out of mine and Earl's garden (pictures to come once my camera decides to work again) and to eat local produce as much as I can. I try to buy local farmer's produce! Summer is the best time to do so! Every dollar you spend is a vote towards changing the food industry and making healthy food available to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

'